serum n : watery fluid of the blood that resembles plasma but contains fibrinogen [syn: blood serum] [also: sera (pl)]
- Occurring or found in the serum of the blood.
- The clear yellowish fluid obtained upon separating whole blood into its solid and liquid components after it has been allowed to clot. Also called blood serum.
- Blood serum from the tissues of immunized animals, containing antibodies and used to transfer immunity to another individual, called antiserum.
- A watery fluid from animal tissue, especially one that moistens the surface of serous membranes or that is exuded by such membranes when they become inflamed, such as in edema or a blister.
- The watery portion of certain animal fluids, as blood, milk, etc; whey.
- In skin care it refers to an intensive moisturising product to be applied after cleansing but before a general moisturiser.
- Czech: sérum
Serum (Latin for "whey") may refer to:
derived from an animal's blood or serous fluid, often involving:
- Antibody, protein used by the immune system to identify and neutralize foreign objects like bacteria and viruses
- Antivenom, biological product used in the treatment of venomous bites or stings
- Antiviral drug, used specifically for treating viral infections
- Antidote, substance which can counteract a form of poisoning
serum in Arabic: مصل
serum in Czech: Sérum
serum in German: Serum
serum in Japanese: 血清
serum in Norwegian: Serum
serum in Polish: Surowica
Rh factor, Rh-negative, Rh-positive, Rh-type, Rhesus factor, agglutinin, allergen, anaphylactin, antiantibody, antibody, antigen, antiserum, antitoxic serum, antitoxin, antivenin, arterial blood, arterial transfusion, blood, blood bank, blood cell, blood count, blood donor, blood donor center, blood group, blood grouping, blood picture, blood platelet, blood pressure, blood serum, blood substitute, blood transfusion, bloodmobile, bloodstream, chyle, circulation, clinical dextran, colostrum, dextran, direct transfusion, discharge, drip transfusion, erythrocyte, exchange transfusion, exsanguination transfusion, exsanguino transfusion, gleet, globulin, gore, grume, hematics, hematologist, hematology, hematoscope, hematoscopy, hemocyte, hemoglobin, hemometer, humor, ichor, incomplete antibody, interferon, isoantibody, lachryma, lactation, leukocyte, leukorrhea, lifeblood, lymph, matter, milk, mucor, mucus, neutrophil, opsonin, peccant humor, perfusion, phagocyte, phlegm, plasma, plasma substitute, plasma transfusion, precipitin, purulence, pus, reciprocal transfusion, red corpuscle, replacement transfusion, rheum, saliva, sanies, serous fluid, serum transfusion, snot, suppuration, sweat, tear, teardrop, the whites, transfusion, type O, urine, venous blood, venous transfusion, white corpuscle